I’ve written a lot about my bedroom on this blog before (mostly about how I love white bedding), but I’ve never really done anything to it. Until now. Since updating the Kitchen, I’ve become really aware of how unfinished our upstairs is. Our bedroom consists of a ginormous bed, and mis-matched furniture from my single days. That’s about it. It has no real character or style.
Enter Jenna Lyons. I’ve always loved Jenna Lyons’ bedroom. From the dark walls, to the minimal bedding, it’s a room that I would love to wake up in. And it’s also a room that I think is obtainable. Especially since I think we already have a pretty good start. Check out my plan below. Inspired by and based on Jenna’s bedroom.
1. We already have a pair these Arteriors lamps (now discontinued) that were returned from a client job. When a client doesn’t want/like something, often times it takes more effort and costs more money to return it. So, I end up keeping it to resell to another client. In this case, the client is me!
2. Even though I love my existing furniture, it doesn’t work. All of the pieces are old, the drawers stick, and nothing matches. We currently have a hefty dresser that eats up the whole room (will repurpose it somewhere else), a smaller chest that I use for a nightstand, and a bench that David uses as a nightstand. A bench. So, I’d like to upgrade to the Delano collection from Room and Board. Two nightstands and a dresser. Their walnut finish is to die for.
3. We’ve been using my grandparents headboards (a pair of upholstered twin headboards they used in their guest room seen here) and as much as it kills me to say this, I think it’s time for something new. This one is cheap, neutral and has tufting. That’s why I like it.
4. Something we already have. 3 Serena and Lily Coral Border Frame Euro shams.
5. Here’s where I think the biggest impact will come from. Jenna’s bedroom is black and I just don’t have it in me to go that dark, so I picked a deep gray instead. Kendall Charcoal by Ben. Moore.
6. I have this Sunburst mirror from Global Views but it’s silver. Thinking about spraying it gold to pop off the gray wall. A little DIY action. I hope I don’t regret this…
7. My Pendleton blanket! Man, I love this thing. This is really where my main inspiration comes from. And the color and pattern remind me of the rug in Jenna’s room.
8. At the moment, we use a blue ticking stripe duvet cover from Ikea over our bed to protect it from our dog, Gus. And we use white sheets. But I’m thinking of reserving these. A white duvet (a super washable one) at the foot of the bed, and these pinstripe sheets from Mark and Graham. Monogrammed? I think so!
Not pictured: Shades and rug. These are still TBD. But I’m thinking of getting basic white soft shades for our two windows, and using our sable cow hide rug.
First things first. Paint. And then the Room and Board furniture. I’ll keep you posted!
Photo credits: Tom Selby for Vogue UK and design board by Cline Rose Designs.